Monday 10 October 2011

Pike Season commences

The piking season is here again, didn't have much luck this Summer due to illness so am looking forward to the coming Winter months for a chance of hitting my target of 30lb.

Started it off down on the Rother, getting to the spot meant walking through a forest in pitch black, had a couple of tumbles as muggins here forgot his LED headlights.
Was a warmish morning for October, ended up fishing in a t-shirt. Both rods set up on ledgered floats, one with smelt, one with a mackerel tail, which I should add were delivered in perfect condition and for a very reasonable price from Baits Direct.

Unfortunately for me, I only managed one run. My new Billy's Back Biter alarm went off on the mackerel baited rod. Now, I don't know why, maybe due to the continuous tone I assumed it was a full on run from my usual carping bite alarms so I struck hard and fast. Sadly, I appeared to strike way too early, I reeled in a smidgen of a mackerel tail that was left hooked on by bone. I can only assume it was a nice sized pike, and maybe the hooks were laying facedown. Stayed a while longer but didn't get any other interest. Am guessing the water could do with a dramatic decrease in temperature for static work.

Went home a bit disheartened, but also a bit triumphant that I know there is a big pike there, will try again sometime this week.

Some of the things I hope to review this year will include Billy's Back Biter, Shimano Super Baitrunners (XTR 10000 RA), Trakker Ultralite & Wrap, ATTs Silent Alarm and receiver and many more bits. My only limit is my health and time being spent on the waters. Here's hoping though...

No comments:

Post a Comment